One of the many benefits of using eco-friendly bath and beauty products is that they are not only better for the environment but are also better for your body. We slather chemicals on our bodies every day that may make us feel good in the moment but ultimately adversely affect our body’s natural production and persist in the environment as well.
1. Biodegradable Soaps: One of the biggest changes you can make is switching to biodegradable soaps and shampoos. They are fairly easy to come by these days. At the very least, look for products free of sodium lauryl sulfate. Dr. Bronner’s boasts a long list of uses including hair, body, and dishes. If you aren’t on the Dr. Bronner’s bandwagon, have no fear. There are many wonderful biodegradable soaps on the market that will have you smelling and feeling fresh and clean while giving you peace of mind.
2. Reusable Makeup Removal Towels: It is easy to get in the habit of using disposable products like cotton balls and rounds when it comes to cleaning your face. Reusable makeup removal towels are infinitely better. They come in a variety of materials and styles. Surprisingly, one of the best products for removing makeup is actually a reusable bamboo nursing pad. They are two-sided. The more absorbent side is great for when you use oil or cream removers. The thinner side can be used to remove eye makeup. They are soft and work better than cotton pads.
3. Essential Oils: Essential oils are a wonderful product to have around. If you love smelling sweet, consider finding an essential oil or blend that can replace some of your perfumes. They can also be used to add a nice aroma to your home or as part of aromatherapy. The fragrance is less overwhelming to most people as well.
4. Bamboo Toothbrushes: Bamboo is a wonderful renewable resource because it grows so quickly. Since toothbrushes are supposed to be replaced every three to four months according to many dental professionals. That is a lot of plastic going into landfills. Bamboo toothbrushes are a great replacement. They are even compostable once the bristles are removed.
5. Menstrual Cup: Ladies, this one is specifically for you. Menstrual cups like the Diva Cup are life changers. Not only are they better for the environment, but they are more comfortable and need to be changed less than regular tampons. Menstrual cups are silicone cups that are inserted into the vagina to catch the menstrual fluid. It only needs to be emptied once or twice a day depending on your flow. Many women claim to forget they even have a period when using these devices because they are so comfortable. And, bonus, it makes outdoor adventures much less of a hassle. Make the switch. You won’t regret it.
6. Eco-friendly Sunscreen: Although sunscreens help protect your skin from UV rays, many contain ingredients that are damaging to coral reefs. Two chemicals, oxybenzone and octinoxate, found in most sunscreens are toxic to corals. Read labels just like you do with foods, and avoid products with these toxic additives. Instead, opt for products with fewer ingredients.
7. Facewash: Exfoliating facewashes can help slough off that old skin and make your face feel smooth and fresh. Unfortunately, microbeads found in face scrubs are contributing to the massive amounts of plastics being found in our oceans and streams. Next time you shop for facewash, opt for a nice sea salt scrub instead.
The easiest way to go green in your beauty routine is to simplify. Try using fewer products and choose items that are packaged using recycled materials. Go green with as many products as you can, especially the ones you use every day.
Narrator: This blog was thoughtfully written by Amy Gravlee. You can find her on Instagram @amygrvl.